As of April 17, 2023
When necessary, we review and revise our privacy notice to protect personal customer information.
The companies of American Family Insurance Group (“AmFam”, “we”, “us”, “our”, “ours” or “American Family Insurance” means the companies identified at the end of this privacy notice, recognize the importance of our customers’ trust. Keeping personal information confidential is a top priority. We care about privacy issues and want you to understand how we collect, disclose, and otherwise use (“Process”) information about you. This privacy notice (“Privacy Notice”) describes our practices in connection with information we collect through our digital services ("Services"), including our websites, social media accounts, marketing partners, and software applications (“Apps”) that include a link to this Privacy Notice and through any of our other activities.
By interacting with these Services you agree to this Privacy Notice and the collection and use of information according to its terms. This is AmFam’s entire and exclusive Privacy Notice, and it supersedes any earlier version. This Privacy Notice applies to information we collect from all sources and explains:
- What information we collect
- How we use and share your information
- How we secure and retain your information
- Your options and choices
Our privacy practices may vary among the states in which we operate to reflect state and local privacy requirements in such jurisdictions. These Services are not intended for use by anyone under 18 years of age. By using them you represent that you are 18 years of age or older.
California Residents: California law may provide you with additional rights regarding your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, please see our California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Notice (“CCPA Notice”) here.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may collect information that identifies you or relates you to an identifiable person (“Personal Information”). The type of information we collect and the extent to which it is used varies based on the products and services we provide to you. We may obtain information such as:
We may collect information from you when you interact with us and from third parties when you:
- Register for, use, or make a payment for a product or service
- Contact us with a question or request
- Provide a testimonial or story, or post or submit a photo, review, or comment
- Participate in a competition, promotional activity, or sweepstakes
- “Like”, “Follow” or otherwise connect with or post to one of our Social Media Accounts
- From a text or SMS message that you send to us in order to obtain more information about a product or service
OTHER INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
HOW WE RETAIN YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We retain personal information for the periods required by applicable laws and/or as specified in our records retention policies and procedures and our Privacy Notice. The period chosen takes account of applicable legal requirements to retain data and specific business use cases. We maintain records management and retention policies and procedures so that, where required, personal information is disposed of after a reasonable time in consideration of the following retention criteria:
- We retain your personal information for as long as needed to carry out the business purposes set forth in this Privacy Notice, or to support our business functions and operations.
- We retain your personal information as long as we have an ongoing relationship with you or for as long as needed to provide products or services to you.
- We retain your personal information for as long as needed to comply with our legal and contractual obligations or as necessary to defend our rights.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We may process Personal Information in connection with any of the following:
- Responding to your inquiries and fulfilling your requests
- Administering promotional events, sweepstakes, and contests
- Personalizing your experience of the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you
- Maintaining records that include, but are not limited to, insurance policy coverages, premiums, and payment history
- Transacting business including underwriting, rating, claims handling and policy administration
- Using anonymized customer data that cannot reasonably be traced to any individual for reporting and analytical purposes
WHO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH
We will share your information with business partners and authorized third parties* as required or permitted by law. For example, we may share your information to:
- Market our products or further our business relationships
- Prevent fraud
- Comply with regulatory, legal and law enforcement requests
* Personal Information collected through the short code/SMS program will not be shared, sold or leased to unaffiliated or affiliated third parties for their own marketing purposes
To opt out of our marketing emails, click the unsubscribe link included in the footer of our emails or log into your MyAccount at www.myaccount.amfam.com. You will continue to receive communication related to the products you own unless you reply to and decline those communications individually.
Customers may update their personal information by contacting their agent or logging into MyAccount or contacting us at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326).
We maintain the privacy and integrity of information collected through secure design of our systems, applications, products, and services with physical, electronic, and administrative controls to safeguard your personal information.
We limit collection and use of personal information to the minimum required to conduct our business. Your personal information will be retained in accordance with legal and business requirements.
Only authorized American Family Insurance workers, agents, and staff who need to know personal information while doing business are provided access. Their right to disclose or use this information is limited by our code of conduct, applicable laws, and non-disclosure agreements where appropriate. Individuals who violate our policies are subject to disciplinary actions.
Organizations that provide services involving personal information on behalf of American Family are contractually required to protect your personal information.
To help ensure the security of the information you provide us, the information is encrypted during its transmission. To comply with this requirement, we only allow information to be submitted for transmission through current, up-to-date browsers. If your browser happens to be incompatible, you will receive a message indicating your transaction cannot be completed because of the security risk.
American Family Insurance uses secure transportation and storage to safeguard the information you provide. Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2 protocol and at least 128-bit encryption are required when you provide personal information. This technology sends your data through an encrypted tunnel so a third party cannot read the information while in transit. All personal information stored by American Family Insurance is housed securely.
*The American Family Insurance Group* (“AmFam”, “we”, “us”, “our”, “ours” or “American Family Insurance”) includes the following affiliates: American Family Mutual Insurance Company, S.I., American Family Insurance Company, American Family Life Insurance Company, Midvale Indemnity Company, American Standard Insurance of Wisconsin, American Standard Insurance of Ohio, AFICS, Inc., American Financial Services, Inc.”